Download 62.19 Kb.
Name Dr Varsha Shyam Rathod
Qualification M.Sc. Ph. D.
Designation Assistant Professor
Address Department of Botany,
Kolhapur- 416 004
Contact No 0231/2690571, ext. 9157,9158
Residence Dr. V. S. Rathod
S-2, flat, Manik-moti Apt., Mane Colony,
Sirnaik Mal, Samrat Nagar,
Contact No 0231 2609157, 9422628324
2. Academic Details
studies of psychoactive plants in Melghat forest and Amravati region of
3. Research Specialization Ethnobotany, Pharmacognosy, harmacology,
4. Teaching Experience Eight Year
5. Research guidance Ph.D, 05 Working
M.Phil. 01 Submitted
6. Research publications
1.Varsha Rathod & U S Chaudhari 2002 : Psychoactive effect of leaf extract of
Vigna trilobata Linn. on a fresh water fish Labeo rohita, Int. J. Flora & Fauna,
Vol 8(2) pp, 101-103.
2. Varsha Rathod & U S Chaudhari 2004 :Pharmacognostical studies on leaf of
Butea superba ( Linn) Int. J. Flora & Fauna, 10(2): 132-134.
1. U S Chaudhari, Varsha Rathod and G N Wankhede 2001 : Effect of water extract of
Bark of Buchanania lanzan Linn. on behaviour and chromatophores of a fresh
water fish Labeo rohita, J.Environmental Biol. Vol.22(3), pp.229-231.
2. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2004 : Ethnobotany of some potential
psychoactive plants of Melghat forest in Amravati District of Maharashtra, J.
Swami Bot. Club. 21 ( 1 & 2): 23-26.
3. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2004 : Ethnophramacognostic survey on
Caesalpinia decapetala Roth (Alston). J Bioinfolate 2(2):132-136.
4. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2006: Effect of leaf extract of Biophytum
sensitivum on fish Labeo rohita. J. Adv. Sci. and Tech.,9 (I&II), June, Dec.,
1. Deshmukh S D, Valvi S.R. and Rathod V S 2010: Ethnobotanical observations on
wild edible tuberous plants of Satara District. J Adv. Plant.Sci., 24 ( I ) 2010.
7. Training: Oriented/Refresher/Workshop attended/Completed:
Project under taken
Conference/seminar, workshop attended
Paper presented in conferences/seminars/symposia
1. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 1999 : Phytochemical screening of some
potential psychoactive plants. In 86th Indian science Association held in
Chennai, 3 rd to 7th Jan 1999.
2. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2000 : Pharmacognostical studies on Vigna
trilobata. In Indian Science congress Association held in Pune, 3- 7 Jan 2000.
3. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2001: Effect of water extract of leaf of Vigna
trilobata Linn. on behaviour and chromatophores in fish Labeo rohita. National
conference on Recent Trend in Biotechnology held in Deptt of Biotechnology,
Amravati University Amravati.
4. U S Chaudhari and Varsha Rathod 2001 : Psychotropic effect of crude plant drugs
on fish Labeo rohita. In State level seminar on Recent Trends on Ethnobotany
held at Deptt of Botany Shivaji college Akot.
5. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2004 : Pharmacognostical studies of leaf of
Biophytum sensitivum (Linn). National conference on Biotechnological
Approaches in conservation, Utilization and Improvement of Plant Wealth, held
At Nanded on Feb. 14-15 2004.
6. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2004 : Pharmacognostical studies on leaf of
Desmodium polycarpum ( Dc). Seminar on Botany and Industry organized by
Dept. of Botany Shivaji University, Kolhapur on 21 st Feb 2004.
7. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2004 : Ethnophramacognostic survey on
Caesalpinia decapetala Roth (Alston). National conference on plant diversity
Organized by Dept of Botany S S V P College Dhule on 10-12 Dec. 2004.
8. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2005: Ethnopharmacological studies of
Biophytum sensitivum ( Linn), presented in International conference,organized
By Dept of Botany , Amravati University Amravti on 17thFeb to 20th feb
9. Varsha Rathod and U S Chaudhari 2006 : Effect of leaf extract from Caesalpinia
decapetala; a potential psychoactive plant on fish Labeo rohita. Presented in
National symposium on Issues and Challenges on Environmental Management for
The vision 2025. Organized by Dept. Environment Science , Dr Babasaheb
Ambedkar University, Lucknow from 17th to 19th Feb 2006.
10. Varsha Rathod 2006: Ethnopharmacognostical survey of Thevetia peruviana.
Presented in International conference on Angiosperm Taxonomy was held at
Agharkar Research Institute Pune on 17th to 19th Oct.
11. Varsha Rathod 2007: Effect of leaf extract from Cuscuta chinensis, a potential
psychoactive plant on fish Labeo rohita. Published in National seminar on
Medicinal plants, conservation, cultivation and utilization held at Gurukul Kangari
Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar, 9 to 11th 2007.
12. Varsha Rathod 2007:Ethnopharmacognostical studies of Capparis zeylanica Linn.
A potential psychoactive plant presented in International conference on Angiosperm
Taxonomy was held at Deptt. Of Botany Shiva ji University Kolhapur on 19th to
21st Nov. 2007.
13. Vaishali Kamble and Varsha Rathod 2007 : Ethnobotanical studies of some
ethnical Vegetables from Kolhapur district. Presented in International conference on
Angiosperm Taxonomy was held at Deptt. Of Botany Shivaji University Kolhapur
on 19th to 21st Nov. 2007.
14. Vaishali Kamble and Varsha Rathod 2009 : Nutritional study of some ethnic
vegetables in Kolhapur District of Maharashtra. National Conference on Herbal &
Traditional Medicines, Dapoli Urban Bank Senior Science College Dapoli on 6th and
15. Swati Deshmukh, Sujata Valvi and Varsha Rathod 2009: Ethnobotanical uses of
some wild edible tuberous plants of Satara district, presented in national conference
on Herbal and Traditional medicines was held at Dapoli Urban Bank Senior Science
College, Dapoli.on 6th and 7th Feb.2009.
16. Sujata Valvi and Varsha Rathod 2010: Ethnomedicinal uses of some wild edible
plants, presented in national conference on Biodiversity conservation held at
Panhalla, organized by women sciences association, Mumbai and Gokhale College ,
Kolhapur, 8-10 th Jan .
17. Vaishali Kamble and Varsha Rathod 2010: Nutraceutical evaluation of some leafy
vegetables, presented in national conference on Biodiversity and conservation
8-9th Jan 2010.
18. Rathod Varsha, Deshmukh S R 2010: Nutraceutical studies on wild edible tuberous
plants. Presented in Int. conference held at BAM University , Aurangabad on 5th to
6th Sep. 2010.
19.Valvi S R, Deshmukh S D and V S Rathod.2010: Ethnobotanical survey of wild
edible fruits in Kolhapur district . Presented in Int. conferen at BAM university,
Aurangabad on 5th to 6th Sep. 2010.
1. Actively participated and selected in Young Scientist Contact Programme, from 21st
to 30th Sept.1998, in National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow organized by
Dept of Science and Technology and Ministry of Govt. of India.
2. Attended one-day workshop on Biotechniques, jointly organized by Banglore
Genei Pvt. Ltd., Banglore and the Dept. of Biochemistry, Shivaji University
Kolhapur on 8th Dec. 2003.
3. Participated and successfully completed the workshop on Basic techniques in
Animal Cell Culture, organized jointly by Dept. of Biochemistry, Shivaji
University Kolhapur and National Centre for Cell Sciences Pune from 16th to 18th
Selected for Young Scientist Contact Programme, in National Botanical
Research Institute, Luckhnow organized by Young Scientist programmed at
NBRI Lukhnow on 21st to 30th Sep. 1998. .
9. Other Activities
1. Participated in Science Exhibition, organized by Dept of Botany, Amravati
University in 1999 on the auspicious hands of Environment and Forest Minister Mr
2 .Conduct the Flower Arrangement competition held in Dept Botany on 8-9th
Jan.2000 in Dept of Botany, Amravati University Amravati.
3 .Participated and awarded the prize in flower show held on 10th Oct. 2000 in Dept.
of Botany, Amravati University, Amravati, organized by Garden Club Amravati.
4 .Participated in the event of Science and Technology Exhibition competition and
Award the prize during NSD celebration from 25th to 28th Feb 2002 organized by
Amravati University Amravati.
5 .Served as resource person for T Y B.Sc. Botany Draft Syllabus, organized by
Dept. of Botany, Shivaji University, Kolhapur on 5th & 6th Dec.2004.
6. Participated and worked on Registration committee in Seminar on Bioinformatics,
Organized by Dept. of Botany, Shivaji University Kolhapur on 30th Dec. 2004.
7. Participated and worked on Registration committee during National Seminar on
Wetlands on Feb 2nd 2005.
8. Actively participated in Wetland Day on IInd Feb 2006
9. Working as an external examiner for MSc. Botany Practical exam.
10. Placement cell officer at Dept. of Botany , Shivaji University, Kolhapur.
11.Working as a Rector of ladies hostel New in the Shivaji University Kolhapur.
12.Working as a women nominee on University selection committee.
9.. Fellowship / Post Doctoral Nil
10. Member of Various societies
11. Research Plan :-
Main Research Activities:
The broad objective of the research is to discover and identify new pharmaceutical and nutraceutical active components from wild edible plants.
specific approach includes:
1. Ethnobotanical field work to document the medicinal plants and wild edibles used among rural people and tribes in Western Ghats of Maharashtra.
2. Ethnopharmocological studies of plants used in the traditional medicine of various areas of countries.
3. Isolation, characterization and structural elucidation of natural products from plants with respect to their bioactivity.
4. Development of selective and validated methods for the standardization of newly documented wild edibles plants and phytomedicine.derived from them.
Project entitle will be undertaken within five years.
1) Ethnobotanical and nutraceutical studies of wild edible plants.
2) Ethno pharmacological studies of psychoactive plants.
3) Phytochemical and Biological studies of medicinal plants.
Due course of this study the present research proposal will be submitted to various Agencies for raising funds.